Información

Historia de Portland, Maine


Portland, la ciudad más grande y el puerto marítimo más importante de Maine, se encuentra en Casco Bay, 110 millas al noreste de Boston. Portland está situada en una península de tres millas de largo y una milla de ancho, así como otra península al este (antes la ciudad independiente de Deering) y algunos territorios e islas del continente. Portland se estableció por primera vez en 1632, pero sufrió incursiones indias en 1675 y 1690. Durante la Guerra de la Independencia, los británicos bombardearon y quemaron Portland, pero fue reconstruida en 1786. Maine se independizó de Massachusetts en 1820 y Portland se convirtió en la capital de Maine, conservando esa posición hasta 1831. La actividad naviera de Portland declinó después de World La Primera Guerra, pero luego revivida. El poeta Henry Wadsworth Longfellow nació en Portland en 1807, en lo que ahora se llama la Casa Wadsworth-Longfellow, que había sido construida alrededor de 1785 por su abuelo, el general Peleg Wadsworth. La Sociedad Histórica de Maine mantiene la casa como museo. Cyrus H.K. Curtis nació en Portland en 1850 y se fue a la edad de 16 años para buscar fortuna. Sus dos condiciones fueron que lo construyera la Austin Organ Company de Hartford y que fuera un monumento a Hermann Kotzschmar. Kotzschmar, un inmigrante alemán que fue durante 47 años el organista de la Primera Iglesia Parroquial Unitaria Universalista en Portland, había sido un amigo cercano de la familia Curtis cuando llegó por primera vez a Portland en 1849, tanto que el nombre completo del editor era Cyrus. Hermann Kotzschmar Curtis. El órgano conmemorativo de Kotzschmar sigue siendo una característica del Ayuntamiento de Portland hasta el día de hoy. El Hospital General de Maine abrió sus puertas en 1874 con 40 camas. La enfermería de ojos y oídos de Maine siguió en 1890, y el Hospital de niños en 1908. En 1951, los tres se fusionaron para convertirse en el Centro Médico de Maine. La Diócesis Católica de Portland abrió el Queen's Hospital en 1918 para atender a las víctimas de la epidemia de gripe de 1918. Fue administrado por las Hermanas de la Misericordia y más tarde se convirtió en Mercy Hospital. El Museo de Arte de Portland fue fundado en 1882 y es el arte público más grande museo en Maine. El Maine College of Art, fundado en 1882 como anexo del museo de arte, es la institución educativa artística más antigua de Maine.


Historia de Portland, Maine - Historia

Sobre Falmouth - Orígenes coloniales

"Un mundo al borde": del Almouchiquois al Nuevo Casco

La historia de Falmouth comienza con los nativos americanos que se asentaron en la región hace aproximadamente 14.000 años tras el derretimiento de los glaciares al final de la última edad de hielo. La evidencia arqueológica sugiere que la agricultura llegó por primera vez a la región entre los años 1300-1400 EC. Cuando el explorador francés Samuel de Champlain hizo contacto europeo en el área en 1605, identificó a las personas que vivían entre el río Androscoggin y Cape Ann, Massachusetts como & # 8220Almouchiquois. & # 8221 Dentro de Almouchiquois, un capitán de banda semiautónoma John Smith llamó al & # 8220Aucocisco & # 8221 habitado Casco Bay. El explorador inglés Christopher Levett observó en 1623 que su líder (conocido como Sagamore) Skitterygusset, residía en Presumpscot Falls. Los Almouchiquois sufrieron dos tragedias antes del asentamiento inglés, lo que ha impedido que los eruditos sepan mucho sobre ellos. En primer lugar, la guerra con Micmacs en el norte en un conflicto que los estudiosos han etiquetado más tarde como la Guerra Tarrentina trajo la derrota y la muerte a los indios del sur de Maine. En segundo lugar, una epidemia entre 1616-19 se cobró la vida de más del 90% de la población indígena de Nueva Inglaterra. Cuando los ingleses comenzaron a asentarse en Casco Bay en la década de 1630, solo quedaban en el área restos de almouchiquois de habla algonquina.

Los primeros años de Falmouth estuvieron marcados por una violencia extrema, ya que se encontraba en una zona fronteriza entre europeos y nativos americanos. Casco Bay representó el punto más septentrional del asentamiento inglés hasta bien entrado el siglo XVIII. Poderosas tribus Abenaki que se extendían hasta el Canadá francés vivían al oeste y al norte de Falmouth. Numerosas guerras entre 1675-1763 entre ingleses, franceses y nativos americanos rara vez dejaron a Falmouth ileso de la violencia. Los ingleses abandonaron dos veces Casco Bay por completo bajo la presión de los ataques franceses e indios en 1676 y 1690.

Arthur Mackworth fue el primer residente europeo de la ciudad y construyó una casa en la década de 1630 en el río Presumpscot. Los colonos ingleses posteriores siguieron el ejemplo de Mackworth y se establecieron en Presumpscot, muy cerca de la mayor parte de la población inglesa en la península conocida como Casco (ahora Portland). Las fronteras de hoy & # 8217s Falmouth eran conocidas como & # 8220New Casco & # 8221 y eran un pueblo dentro del asentamiento más grande de Casco. La actual ciudad de Falmouth sería conocida como & # 8220New Casco & # 8221 hasta que Portland se separó en 1786.

Aunque la ciudad se conocía como New Casco, fue durante este período temprano cuando el nombre Falmouth se asoció por primera vez con el área. En 1658, la colonia de la bahía de Massachusetts tomó el control de Maine, a pesar de la resistencia local. Massachusetts renombró los asentamientos de Casco Bay & # 8220Falmouth & # 8221 después de una importante batalla en la Guerra Civil Inglesa que ocurrió en Falmouth, Inglaterra. Massachusetts probablemente eligió el nombre & # 8220Falmouth & # 8221 para celebrar su conquista de Maine, reflejando simbólicamente la victoria de las fuerzas parlamentarias sobre los realistas en Falmouth, Inglaterra en 1646. Comúnmente conocido como & # 8220Falmouth en Casco Bay & # 8221 para distinguirlo de Falmouth en Cape Cod, los límites originales de la ciudad incluían Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Westbrook, Portland y la ciudad actual

En un esfuerzo por mejorar las relaciones con los nativos americanos locales, los ingleses construyeron un fuerte llamado New Casco en 1700 por legado de los Abenakis locales que deseaban un lugar conveniente para comerciar y reparar sus armas. La ubicación del fuerte estaría hoy frente al cementerio Pine Grove en la ruta 88. Una reunión de 1701 entre los funcionarios coloniales locales de Abenaki-Pigwackets y Massachusetts cimentó la alianza entre los dos pueblos. Se erigieron un par de mojones de piedra como símbolo de esta amistad. Las cercanas islas Two Brothers en alta mar recibieron más tarde su nombre de este monumento olvidado hace mucho tiempo. Desafortunadamente, la paz no duraría ya que la Guerra de la Reina Ana estalló en la región dos años después. Los franceses enviaron Micmac, Mohawk y milicias francesas para asaltar la costa de Maine e interrumpir esta nueva alianza inglesa con los pueblos nativos del sur de Maine. El gobernador de Massachusetts, Joseph Dudley, viajó a New Casco en junio de 1703 en un vano intento de mantener a los nativos americanos fuera de la guerra. Seis semanas después, Fort New Casco fue asediado por las fuerzas invasoras nativas americanas y francesas. La llegada de un barco armado de Massachusetts salvó a los ingleses apiñados dentro de Fort New Casco. La paz regresó en 1713, pero tres años más tarde Massachusetts ordenó la demolición del fuerte. La destrucción de Fort New Casco simbolizó el abandono de Massachusetts & # 8217 de su política de buscar la amistad de los nativos americanos locales.

Mientras los franceses controlaran Canadá, vivir al este del río Presumpscot en New Casco era una propuesta peligrosa. Sólo una familia vivía en la ciudad en 1725. La creciente población inglesa y la derrota francesa en la Guerra del Rey Jorge y # 8217s (1744-48) trasladaron la zona fronteriza entre los nativos americanos y los ingleses al norte de Midcoast Maine. Para 1753, New Casco había crecido a 62 familias y era lo suficientemente grande como para formar su propia parroquia. Sin embargo, los nativos americanos continuaron apuntando a New Casco, atestiguado más vívidamente por una redada en 1748 y la muerte del residente John Burnal en 1751.

La caída de la ciudad de Quebec ante los británicos en 1759 sacó a los franceses de América del Norte, privando a los grupos de nativos americanos cercanos de un aliado importante y terminó formalmente los 130 años anteriores de malestar o guerra abierta en Falmouth. Dado que los franceses ya no podían suministrar armas para la resistencia de los nativos americanos, poco se interpuso en el camino de una mayor expansión inglesa en su territorio. Las poblaciones locales de nativos americanos también se han visto drásticamente reducidas por las enfermedades, y la mayoría ha migrado hacia el norte y el oeste para unirse a comunidades nativas más grandes donde permanecen hoy. El período colonial había determinado que los futuros habitantes de Falmouth hablarían inglés, no francés o algonquino.


Historia de Maine en línea

Imágenes de la Sociedad Histórica de Maine

Decenas de miles de trabajadores portuarios, conocidos formalmente como estibadores, han trabajado en los muelles de la costa de Portland durante la mayor parte de los últimos 150 años.

Muchos inmigrantes irlandeses, en su mayoría trabajadores no calificados, empezaron económicamente como estibadores. Estos trabajos proporcionaron la base sobre la cual pudieron construir el futuro de sus familias en Portland.

El trabajo era difícil, el clima invernal a menudo brutal y la naturaleza inestable de la mano de obra era problemática, lo que presentaba desafíos tanto para los estibadores como para sus familias. Pero también les presentó una oportunidad.

A lo largo de la costa de Portland, gran parte del trabajo manual pesado a principios del siglo XIX lo realizaba una pequeña pero importante comunidad negra de trabajadores portuarios, muchos de los cuales vivían en la base de Munjoy Hill.

Algunos de estos trabajadores habían llegado a Portland siguiendo el comercio de melaza de las Indias Occidentales. Al importar grandes cantidades de esta sustancia oscura y pegajosa, Portland se convirtió en un importante proveedor de azúcar refinada, especialmente a través de la refinería de azúcar J. B. Brown en la zona ribereña.

Otros subproductos de la melaza eran el ron y otras formas de alcohol, destilados en la fábrica de cerveza McGlinchy y otras empresas legales y semilegales en toda la ciudad.

La historia marítima de Portland y su prominencia comercial cambiaron drásticamente en 1853 cuando la ciudad fue unida por ferrocarril a Montreal por el Atlántico y el ferrocarril Saint Lawrence (más tarde conocido como Grand Trunk).

Este era el sueño de John A. Poor, quien vio el potencial de Portland como un importante puerto mundial que conectaba, por vía marítima y ferroviaria, los mercados del continente americano con los centros marítimos de Europa. Los pobres creían que Portland podría eventualmente rivalizar con las principales ciudades del Báltico.

El desarrollo de Portland como el principal puerto de invierno de Canadá fue significativo, aunque nunca llegó al nivel de la visión de grandeza de Poor. El principal producto que se manejó a través del puerto de Portland fue el grano canadiense, especialmente de noviembre a abril, cuando el río San Lorenzo se congeló, lo que convirtió a Montreal y Quebec en ciudades sin litoral.

A partir de 1853, grandes barcos de vapor llegaron a Portland con creciente regularidad durante el invierno, lo que dio a los trabajadores de la costa un trabajo estable y, finalmente, cada vez más lucrativo. Esta conexión ferroviaria coincidió con la llegada de la inmigración a gran escala de Irlanda en los años inmediatamente posteriores a la devastadora hambruna de la papa de finales de la década de 1840.

Aunque muchos de los primeros colonos irlandeses de Maine se habían originado en el norte del país, principalmente presbiterianos escoceses-irlandeses del Ulster, los inmigrantes más recientes de la era de la hambruna procedían en gran parte de las regiones occidentales más pobres de Irlanda. La mayoría de los inmigrantes que llegaron a Portland después de la hambruna procedían del condado de Galway, con su fuerte y sobreviviente tradición del idioma irlandés (gaélico).

En un proceso conocido como "migración en cadena", un miembro de la familia llegó y allanó el camino para que otros se unieran, generalmente enviando "dinero desde Estados Unidos" para ayudar con el costo del pasaje en vapores.

Un lugar donde estos nuevos inmigrantes irlandeses podían encontrar trabajo en Portland era a lo largo de la costa. A mediados del siglo XIX, los irlandeses ya habían desplazado a los trabajadores portuarios negros. A medida que el trabajo se volvía más regular y atractivo, al menos en los meses de invierno, los estibadores irlandeses intentaron formalizar y garantizar sus condiciones laborales. En la década de 1860, una asociación de estibadores irlandesa exigía salarios más altos, especialmente durante los tiempos de auge de la Guerra Civil.

En 1880, estos trabajadores portuarios, en su mayoría irlandeses, se incorporaron como la Sociedad Benevolente de los Estibadores de Portland (PLSBS). La mayoría de los miembros fundadores de la PLSBS eran irlandeses y muchos de ellos eran principalmente hablantes de irlandés (gaélico). Uno de los estatutos de la PLSBS establecía que "Ningún hombre de color debe ser miembro de esta sociedad".

La transformación del trabajo marítimo de negro a verde se había producido y no habría vuelta atrás. El racismo contra los negros no era exclusivo de Portland, pero era irónico dada la historia temprana de los negros en su costa, así como el hecho de que el obispo católico de la diócesis de Portland en ese momento, James Augustine Healy (1875-1900), era mitad negro y mitad irlandés.

Los inmigrantes irlandeses se congregaron en dos barrios principales y las calles que los conectaban a lo largo del paseo marítimo de Portland: el extremo oeste, más tarde conocido como Gorham's Corner, con su parroquia de Saint Dominic (la iglesia católica más antigua de Portland, que data de 1833) y el extremo este, mejor. conocido como Cerro Munjoy, con su Catedral de la Inmaculada Concepción (1866).

La naturaleza parroquial de la vida en Galway, con diferencias regionales que reflejan distancias geográficas aparentemente pequeñas, había migrado intacta a Portland. A menudo, los niños de uno de estos barrios apenas conocían las calles ni a los habitantes del otro, a pesar de que apenas los separaban una milla.

Debido a que muchos de los estibadores irlandeses de Portland tenían apellidos de Galway similares, como Joyce, Connolly, Folan / Foley, O'Malley o Gorham, un rasgo cultural común en Irlanda, el uso de apodos para aquellos con apellidos comunes, sobrevivió en Portland. .

Algunos de los apodos con raíces gaélicas son Bád ní ngean (bola de hilo), Bartla Tadhg (Bartley Timothy), Cockaneeney (Cac an éinín, o excrementos de pájaro), greenhorn geimhridh (inmigrante que llega en invierno), Paddy na gcnoc (Patrick de los cerros), y Philipín (pequeño, o joven, Felipe).

Otros apodos a menudo eran bastante cómicos, como Hombre promedio, Virgen bendecida, Platos rotos, Techo con goteras, Patas de papel, Senador Cleghorn, Perro peludo, Hueso de sopa y Ya-Ya.

La mayoría de los estibadores eran católicos romanos. Todos los obispos desde que se creó la Diócesis de Portland en 1855 tenían un apellido irlandés identificable, como Bacon, Healy, O'Connell, Walsh, Murray, McCarthy, Feeney, Gerety, O'Leary, Gerry y Malone.

En el siglo XIX, había numerosas organizaciones sociales, culturales y políticas irlandesas en Portland, incluida la Sociedad Benevolente de los Estibadores de Portland, cuya membresía máxima de 1366 se registró en 1919.

A principios de la década de 1920, sin embargo, comenzó una disminución constante del trabajo y la membresía. En la década de 1920, el gobierno canadiense mejoró los puertos de Halifax, Nueva Escocia y Saint John, New Brunswick, para manejar `` mercancías canadienses desde puertos canadienses ''. Los estibadores canadienses en esos dos puertos manipulaban el grano que se había enviado desde Portland durante los 70 años. entre 1853 y 1923.

A pesar de un breve resurgimiento positivo en la carga marítima debido a la Segunda Guerra Mundial, la mano de obra marítima de Portland continuó disminuyendo. Finalmente, Portland se hizo conocido esencialmente como un puerto petrolero, con Portland Pipeline manejando envíos de petróleo a Montreal. Sin embargo, el petróleo no requería mucha mano de obra y los estibadores buscaron, sin éxito, productos básicos para enviar desde este puerto de aguas profundas, o importaciones que pudieran manejarse en Portland.

A principios del siglo XXI, el puerto de Portland se había convertido en gran parte en un recurso natural sin una función claramente definida.


Lugares importantes de la historia afroamericana de Portland

Las comunidades negras de Portland han estado dando forma a la historia, los paisajes y la arquitectura de la ciudad desde su fundación. Como ciudad portuaria importante, Portland era a la vez una parada del ferrocarril subterráneo y el hogar de una próspera comunidad de negros libres que trabajaban en la zona ribereña o para los ferrocarriles comerciales. Algunos de los edificios que cuentan sus historias permanecen en pie, principalmente en el vecindario de India Street, que fue fundado por afroamericanos libres que prosperaron en la economía marítima de Portland. Esos edificios se muestran a continuación.

La escritura sobre estos lugares históricos se basa en información de las siguientes publicaciones. Consulte estos valiosos recursos para obtener una lectura más detallada:

En septiembre de 2017, los Recursos Afroamericanos del Siglo XIX se agregaron a la lista de Lugares en Peligro de los Monumentos Históricos de Portland. Los recursos y edificios históricos sobrevivientes cuentan la historia de los ciudadanos afroamericanos que contribuyeron a la sólida historia de Portland. Tres áreas en la península de la ciudad fueron históricamente el hogar de los residentes negros de Portland: Newbury Street cerca de Abyssinian Meeting House, Lafayette Street en Munjoy Hill cerca de Mansfield's Livery Stable y en el vecindario St. John-Valley Street cerca de Union Station, una de las principales empleador de muchas de las familias afroamericanas del vecindario. Las tres áreas históricamente asociadas con la comunidad afroamericana de Portland se están reurbanizando rápidamente o están listas para la reurbanización. En los esfuerzos de preservación hasta la fecha, estas modestas viviendas y edificios institucionales asociados con la historia negra de Portland se han visto ensombrecidos en gran medida por edificios más grandes y elaborados.

The Abyssinian Meeting House, 73 Newbury Street, (1828): Construida en 1828 como una casa de culto, la Abyssinian Meeting House es la tercera casa de reuniones afroamericana más antigua de los Estados Unidos, y tiene una importancia histórica local, estatal y nacional. El abisinio se convirtió en el centro de la vida social y política de la comunidad afroamericana de Portland en el siglo XIX. Cuando el Gran Incendio arrasaba la ciudad, la comunidad que dependía del Abisinio se unió para cubrir el techo con mantas húmedas y salvarlo con éxito del incendio. El edificio sirvió como iglesia y escuela pública segregada, así como sala para conciertos, cenas y entretenimiento. Entre sus miembros y predicadores había personas que habían sido esclavizadas, líderes del movimiento del Ferrocarril Subterráneo y defensores abiertos de la abolición de la esclavitud en los Estados Unidos. La casa de reuniones se cerró en 1917, se convirtió en apartamentos en 1924 y, finalmente, la ciudad de Portland la abandonó y se hizo cargo de ella para pagar los impuestos atrasados. En 1998, el Comité para Restaurar el Abisinio compró la propiedad y comenzó su restauración. El comité continúa avanzando en la restauración, así como creando conciencia sobre este edificio de importancia nacional. Para obtener más información o para participar, visite su sitio web y póngase en contacto con el comité. Para ver los monumentos del abisinio, haga clic aquí.

La casa de Abraham Niles, 77 Newbury Street (c. 1840): Construida junto a la casa de reuniones Abisinio, la Casa de Abraham Niles también es un sobreviviente del Gran Incendio. Abraham Niles fue un marinero y miembro temprano de la iglesia de al lado. La familia Niles vivió en la casa hasta finales del siglo XIX.

The North School, 248 Congress Street (1867): Después del Gran Incendio de 1866, la Escuela del Norte se construyó para educar a todos los niños del vecindario, incluida la gran población de niños negros que viven en el vecindario de India Street y en Munjoy Hill. Si bien muchos de los maestros de la North School eran descendientes de inmigrantes irlandeses, el primer maestro de escuela negro de Portland supuestamente también enseñó en la North School.
Haga clic para obtener más información sobre las escuelas históricas de Portland.

Reuben Ruby House, 81 Newbury Street (c. 1853-56): Este edificio ha sido alterado, perdiendo muchas de sus características históricas, pero no su importancia histórica. Uno de los primeros ocupantes fue Reuben Ruby, fundador de la Sociedad Contra la Esclavitud de Maine. Nacido en Gray, Maine, fue el principal Conductor de Ferrocarriles Subterráneos en Portland y trabajó en importantes publicaciones contra la esclavitud en Boston y Maine. Tuvo un exitoso puesto de piratería, cuya antigua ubicación está marcada en Portland Freedom Trail. Compró y donó el terreno para la Casa de Reuniones Abisinia y financió su construcción. Su hijo, William Wilberforce Ruby, fue el bombero que alertó por primera vez a la ciudad del inicio del Gran Incendio de 1866 y dirigió a su comunidad a proteger el techo del Abyssinan durante el incendio. Para obtener más información sobre William Wilberforce Ruby, lea el artículo del Portland Press Herald sobre el Gran Incendio.

Congreso del Cementerio Oriental 224 (1668): Algunos miembros de la familia Ruby están enterrados en el cementerio oriental. Este cementerio es el lugar de descanso final de muchos de los primeros afroamericanos de Portland. Cerca de la cerca en Mountfort St. hay una sección del cementerio que originalmente fue designada para personas negras. En la primera mitad del siglo XIX, muchas personas prominentes del movimiento contra la esclavitud de Portland, en blanco y negro, fueron enterradas en este cementerio. Para obtener más información sobre sus vidas, lea Portland Freedom Trail o póngase en contacto con Spirits Alive, el grupo de amigos que investiga, restaura y aboga por Eastern Cemetery.

Casa de John y Mary Parrs, 16 Federal Street (1870): Si bien esta casa ha sido modificada varias veces, la más reciente en 2015-16, la estructura original se construyó en 1870. La familia Parrs refleja las diferentes historias laborales de las familias afroamericanas en Portland. John Parrs era propietario de varios edificios en el barrio de India Street y era un marinero. Su hijo, Braxton, fue marinero y más tarde, trabajador postal. Su nuera, Amelia, era cocinera de temporada en Old Orchard Beach y una de las residentes más antiguas de Parrs House. Ella era originaria de Georgia y tiene un linaje familiar poco claro, quizás nació en la esclavitud.

El barrio de Valley Street: Además del vecindario de India Street, el área de Valley Street albergaba una parte importante de la comunidad negra de Portland. Muchos en el vecindario trabajaron en Union Station (1888-1961) o en el Ferrocarril Central de Maine. Trabajaban como porteadores, cocineros y camareros en los trenes de pasajeros, como camareros, matronas, gorras rojas y limpiabotas en la estación, o como hombres de vía y tránsito en los trenes de carga. Muchas de las casas existentes en Valley y A Street fueron ocupadas por familias negras de Portland. La historia negra visible de Maine proporciona más información sobre la historia del vecindario de Valley Street. El libro presenta a la familia Cummings que vivía en este vecindario y era conocida, entre otras cosas, por sus largas y exitosas carreras en el ferrocarril, comenzando con tres hermanos a principios de siglo, Eddie, Tate y Leslie Cummings. Sus hijos y nietos continúan siendo prominentes en Maine como líderes en política, derechos civiles y defensa de los hitos de la historia negra, incluida la Abyssinian Meeting House.


Preservación histórica

En 1990, la ciudad de Portland adoptó una ordenanza de preservación histórica para reconocer y preservar uno de los principales activos de Portland: su rica colección de arquitectura y paisajes históricos. La ordenanza protege casi 2000 propiedades en toda la ciudad, en vecindarios tan diversos como Old Port, Stroudwater, Congress Street, West End y Fort McKinley en Great Diamond Island.

La intención de la ordenanza no es evitar cambiar, pero pensativamente administrarlo, para que se mantenga el carácter único de estas áreas históricas. Las propiedades designadas están protegidas de la demolición y las alteraciones o adiciones propuestas se revisan para garantizar la compatibilidad con el diseño original de la propiedad. También se revisan las construcciones nuevas dentro de los distritos históricos designados para garantizar una relación respetuosa entre lo nuevo y lo antiguo.

Hoy, el impacto de la ordenanza es claro: preservar los recursos históricos estabiliza los vecindarios y tiene sentido económico. Un paseo o un recorrido en automóvil por cualquiera de los once distritos históricos de Portland revela cambios emocionantes, ya que cada vez más edificios antiguos se rehabilitan cuidadosamente de acuerdo con los estándares de preservación histórica y los nuevos edificios compatibles se absorben en la mezcla.

En el vecindario de Parkside, por ejemplo, a lo largo de calles que alguna vez estuvieron marcadas por viviendas deterioradas y propiedad ausente, ahora hay casas renovadas con propietarios ocupantes que se enorgullecen de sus propiedades y de su vecindario. A lo largo de Commercial Street, una nueva y emocionante arquitectura ha tomado su lugar junto a los almacenes restaurados del siglo XIX, lo que demuestra que los nuevos edificios pueden ser contemporáneos y compatibles con las estructuras históricas. En todo el sistema de parques históricos de la ciudad, se están desarrollando planes maestros para asegurar que las mejoras futuras respeten los diseños originales de los parques. Todos estos proyectos han sido facilitados por el programa de preservación histórica de la Ciudad.

El éxito de este importante programa depende del apoyo y la cooperación de los propietarios de las propiedades históricas de Portland. Antes de emprender un proyecto que afectará el exterior de su edificio o el lote circundante, lea la información incluida en este sitio web y llame al personal de preservación histórica en el Departamento de Planificación y Desarrollo para discutir sus planes. Están preparados para ayudarlo a encontrar soluciones prácticas y asequibles que satisfagan tanto sus necesidades como los estándares de la ordenanza.


Historia de Portland, Maine - Historia

Historia de Portland, Maine
De
Un nomenclátor del
Estado de Maine

Por Geo. J. Varney
Publicado por B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Portland, eminente por sus instalaciones comerciales, por la salud y belleza de su situación, y por la empresa y la urbanidad de sus ciudadanos, ocupa el puerto principal de Casco Bay, en la parte sur del condado de Cumberland. Siendo el puerto más cercano en la costa atlántica a las ciudades de San Lorenzo, y con un puerto seguro y conveniente para los mayores vapores oceánicos, y abierto en todas las estaciones, naturalmente se ha convertido en el principal puerto marítimo de Canadá, también. como en el oeste de Maine, y las partes del norte de New Hampshire y Vermont. Desde la ciudad proceden los ferrocarriles de Boston y Maine, Eastern y Portland y Rochester, atravesando los centros de negocios de New Hampshire y Massachusetts, y conectando con las carreteras a todas las partes del continente. El Grand Trunk of the Atlantic y St. Lawrence Railroad desciende a través de las partes norteñas de Vermont y New Hampshire hasta los muelles de los barcos de vapor oceánicos en el puerto de Portland. El ferrocarril de Portland y Ogdensburg, pasando. el valle del Saco, que atraviesa las Montañas Blancas, pasando por St. Johnsbury, Vermont, y desde allí hasta el pie del lago Champlain, ofrecerá una ruta aún más corta hacia Canadá y el gran Oeste. El Maine Central con sus sucursales, conecta con la región central del Estado desde Penobscot casi hasta los lagos Rangely en Bangor se conecta con el Ferrocarril Piscataquis, y por el Ferrocarril Europeo y Norteamericano, con los sistemas de New Brunswick y Nueva Escocia. . Todas estas líneas están conectadas en la ciudad por el ferrocarril marginal. Además de las instalaciones ferroviarias, las líneas de barcos de vapor dan transporte de agua tres veces por semana a Nueva York, diariamente a Boston, tres veces por semana a Bangor y puertos intermedios, semanalmente a Mount Desert y Machias, quincenalmente a Eastport y St. John , NB, y quincenalmente a Halifax, NS, directo. La línea de barcos de vapor Allan navega semanalmente entre Portland y Liverpool, de noviembre a mayo, ofreciendo grandes instalaciones de importación y exportación.

La mayoría de las principales manufacturas se producen en la ciudad o en sus alrededores, muchas de ellas en grandes cantidades y de excelencia superior.

La cantidad promedio de derechos cobrados en la Aduana de Portland durante algunos años no está lejos de los $ 900,000.

Las industrias especiales en las que Portland supera a todas las demás ciudades son probablemente las de provisiones herméticamente selladas y las pesquerías y la conservación del pescado en diversas formas.

En el negocio del pescado, alrededor de una docena de empresas se dedican al envasado de caballa y arenque. Estas firmas durante la temporada de 1880, envasaron un total de 80.500 barriles de caballa y 13.300 barriles de arenque. El valor de mercado de estos es poco menos de $ 500,000. El número de buques dedicados a la pesquería de caballa es de 162 en la pesquería de arenque, 75 para un total de 237 buques, cuya tripulación asciende a 3.345. Esto no incluye a las personas empleadas en el envasado del pescado. Media docena de empresas más se dedican a la curación de bacalao y otros pescados. Los tres que hacen mayor negocio en estos, curados en la temporada que termina a mediados de octubre de 1880, 50.000 quintales. La curación se realiza en las islas del puerto. House Island se ha utilizado para este propósito durante más de 200 años.

Portland is the smallest town in the State ia superficial area. A small peninsula jutting into the inner waters of Casco Bay, and 16 islands and parts of islands, lying at distances of from 3 to 10 miles down the bay constitute the territory of the city. This peninsula, or Neck, was called Machigonne by the Indians, which according to some means bad clay while others contend that its interpretation should be knee or elbow,-descriptive of the curving form of the peninsula. The names of the islands are Peak's, Long, Cushing's, House, Great and Little Diamond (or Hog), part of Crotch, part of Hope, Little Chebeague, Jewell's, Cow, Rain, Marsh, Overset, Crow, and Pumpkin Knob. Several of these islands are very picturesque and attractive, and 4 or 5 have hotels. The peninsula is about 3 miles long, with an average breadth of three-fourths of a mile. On the southerly side lies Cape Elizabeth, separated from Portland by an arm of the sea called Fore River, which constitutes the inner harbor. On the northerly side, is Back Cove and beyond is Peering. The peninsula has a mean elevation at the middle of more than 100 feet,-sloping gradually to the water on either side, except at the eastern and western extremities,-which rise in Munjoy's Hill at the east to the height of 161 feet and at the west, in Bramhall's Hill, to 175 feet,-ending here in a bold bluff. Munjoy's Hill affords delightful views of the waters of Casco Bay and its numerous islands, and of the ocean beyond. Bramhall commands a sea view, and a broad landscape of farm, forest and village, and beyond all, the great semicircle of the mountains. This configuration of the peninsula gives excellent drainage, while from its altitude it is bathed in the pure breezes from sea and shore, rendering it one of the most healthy cities on the globe. From end to end of the peninsula runs Congress street, the backbone of the city, 3 miles in length. Parallel with this on the east for a part of its length, are, first, Middle street, devoted chiefly to the dry goods trade second, Fore street, miscellaneous trade andthird, Commercial street, fronting the harbor, and occupied largely by wholesale traders in heavy goods of all sorts. On the western side, the streets are Cumberland second, Oxford and Portland third, Lincoln and Kennebec,-the last two running along the margin of Back Cove. The whole peninsula has above 226 streets, lanes and courts, aggregating a length of 48 miles while 29 wharves extend into the harbor, affording accommodation to vessels of every size and kind. Besides the lines of steam railways, already enumerated, there are 6 avenues for teams and foot passengers. There is also projected and partly built, a Marginal Way, 100 feet in width, running entirely around the city. Horse cars furnish easy transit between the depots of the different lines of steam cars, and the principal streets connecting also with the suburban villages of Deering Point, Woodford's Corner, and Morrill's Corner. The business of the city centres on the southerly slope below Congress street, near the middle of the peninsula. Munjoy's Hill is almost a village by itself of middle class residences, having its own churches, schools and shops. The northerly slope, back of Congress street, along its whole length, is devoted to private residences. The western end, rising gradually to the eminence of Bramhall, is the fashionable quarter and, having been spared by the great fire of 1866, now contains the oldest mansions, as well as many new and elegant edifices. A marked feature of Bramhall is the well-kept gardens and lawn surrounding the houses, and generally open to public view through open fences, or over low hedges, or guards of stone.

The slope under Bramhall toward Peering's Oaks, is now, also, becoming an inhabited place, and many handsome residences are already erected.

Portland has several excellent hotels,-the Falmouth, situated on Middle Street, being the largest. It is a magnificent structure containing 240 rooms, and 10 large stores. Its front is of Albert-stone, and its sile walls of pressed brick, with Albert-stone trimmings. The building of the first National Bank, near by, is a fine building of red-sandstone. A little farther down is the fine granite front of the Casco Bank building. The Maine Savings Bank has its rooms on the corner of Plum street. Over it is the St. Julian Hotel, a neat little house conducted on the European plan. A short distance beyond is the handsome red-freestone building of the Canal Bank. The oldest of the public houses of the city, recently enlarged and brought up to the requirement of the times, is the United States Hotel, on the eastern side of Market square, and occupying the space between Federal and Congress streets. In Stanton Block, on Exchange street, the Board of Trade has its head-quarters and here, also, is the Merchants' Exchange, with its reading-room. Close by is the elegant building of the Merchants' Bank. On the corner of Middle and Exchange streets is the Post-Office, an elegant building of Vermont marble, occupying a square by itself. Among its red brick neighbors, its chaste white walls and elegant architecture give it a somewhat ethereal look. Its cost was half a million of dollars. In the second story is the United States Court room and offices. A little further up on the same Street, is the fine block of the Portland Saving's Bank,-then the Printer's Exchange, where several papers are issued. On Congress street, at the head of Exchange, is the City Government Building, an imposing structure, having a frontage of 150 feet, a length of 221 feet, with corner towers 75 feet high, and a central dome tLat swells upward 160 feet. Its front is of a light-colored Nova Scotia Albert-stone, and the sides and rear of pressed brick with Albert-stone trimmings. Its cost was $650,000. In it, besides city and county rooms and offices, are the Public Library, containing 26,000 volumes, and the library of the Maine Historical Society. There are also two excellent halls in the building, the largest of which, an elegant apartment, will conveniently seat 2,500 people.

At the foot of Hancock street on the corner of Fore street, stands "the old square wooden house upon the edge of the sea," in which the poet Longfellow was born. Turning to Commercial street, a short walk brings us to the Custom house, a handsome structure of granite,-which also has a front on Fore street. On the opposite side of Commercial street, not far away, is the extensive and massive "Thomas Block," built by Hon. William W Thomas, one of the oldest and most successful merchants of Portland,-who has added beauty and value to the city by the erection of many elegant buildings.

The site of the first settlement in Portland is now occupied by the depot, the immense elevator, and other buildings of the Grand Trunk Railway. The settlers were George Cleeves and Richard Tucker, who here built their house, cleared land, and planted the first corn-in 1632. They were squatters at first but in 1637, Cleeves went to England and obtained from Sir Ferdinand Gorges, proprietor of this region, a grant of the peninsula on which they had built, and other neighboring lands and islands. These he parcelled out to settlers, and a small community soon grew up, and became known as Casco. Fishing, cultivation of the soil, and trade with the Indians, formed the business. in 1658, Massachusetts usurped the government of Gorges' territory, and applied the name Falmouth to Casco Neck, and a wide extent of territory about this harbor but the peninsula continued to be called Casco Neck until its incorporation as Portland in 1786. Falmouth at first embraced, in addition to the Neck, the territory now belonging to the towns of Cape Elizabeth, Peering, Westbrook and the present Falmouth. With incorporation came the settlement of a minister, and the people built the first meeting-house on the point now occupied by the Portland Company's works. The first minister was Rev. George Burroughs, a graduate of Harvard University, who began to preach there in 1674. When the town was destroye d by the Indians in 1690, he went to Danvers and two years afterwardhe was executed at Salem as a wizard. When the savages fell upon the place in 1676, of the 40 families in town, only four or five lived upon the Neck. In 1678 old settlers returned and Fort Loyal, the largest fortification on the coast, was erected on a rocky eminence where the round-house of the Grand Trunk Railway now stands. A party of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came in as settlers about this time. The town now began to prosper,-mills were set up, and roads were laid out,-mere footpaths, however, as no vehicles had yet been introduced. In 1681, the first tavern was opened. In 1688, the population of Falmouth had increased to 600 or 700, comprising 80 families, 25 of whom were on the Neck. In 1689, during the second Indian war, a large body of their warriors approached the town. Major Church, arriving with two companies just at the nick of time, met the Indians in the valley on the north side of Bramhall's Hill, and, after a sharp fight, drove them off losing in the contest eleven killed and ten wounded. The next year, 500 French and Indians, after a siege of five days, captured the fort, and carried the garrison captive to Canada.

From this time until after the close of Queen Anne's war in 1713, the place remained "deserted Casco." With its settlement in 1715, begins the second period of its history, which ends with its destruction by Mowatt in 1775. The new settlement was on nearly the same site as the old. In 1727, Rev. Thomas Smith commenced in the place his long ministry of over sixty-eight years.

In the course of half a century a great trade with the West Indies, as well as with England, sprang up so that on Nov. 1, 1766, six large ships were lying in the harbor. At the commencement of the Revolution, 2,555 tons of shipping were owned in what is now Portland: and the population was about 2,000. Its patriotism was then as prompt as has ever since been. No vantage was allowed for the enforeement of the Stamp Act the hated stamps being seized and burned as soon as they arrived and when the tax was placed upon tea, a popular assemblage resolved "that we will not buy nor sell any India tea whatever" and when the British government closed the port of Boston in 1774, the bell of Falmouth meeting-house was muffled and tolled from sunrise to sunset. Incensed by his capture and detention here in the previous spring by a party of militia from Brunswick, Capt. Henry Mowatt, in October, 1775, entered the harbor with a fleet of five war vessels, and on the 18th of that month, laid the town in ashes. The citizens nobly refused to give up their arms to secure the immunity of their village, but mostly fled into the country, taking with them what they could carry of there goods. Out of 514 buildings, only 100 dwelling-houses were left standing. Thus for the third time, the town was desolated. With the acknowledgment of our independence as a nation, a period of prosperity again began. There were not only business but social changes. "Distinctions of rank and of dress," says Elwell, "gave way before the democratic spirit of the times cocked hats, bush wigs, and breeches passed out, and pantaloons came in. Capt. Joseph Titcomb created quite a sensation when he returned home from the South, in 1790, wearing the latter form of the nether garment, the first seen here." In 1785, the first brick house in town was commenced, and the first newspaper appeared, the "Falmouth Gazette," published by Benjamin Titcomb and Thomas B. Waite. The same author previously quoted says, "In 1786, the town was divided, and the Neck, with the name of Portland, started on an independent career, with a population of about 2,000. In 1793, wharves were extended into the harbor. In 1795, Nathaniel Peering built the first brick store. In 1799, the first bank was incorporated. Trade advanced westward from the old site at the foot of India street, and in 1800, Exchange (then called Fish) street was the principal seat of business." Then the wealthier merchants began to build them more stately residences, fitted to the increasing refinement and the more lavish expenditure. Such are the Matthew Cobb house, still standing at the corner of High and Free streets the mansion built by Ebenezer Storer, on the corner of High and Danforth street that built by Joseph H. Ingraharn, on State street and the fine old mansion on the corner of High and Spring streets, long the residence of the late General Wingate all giving evidence of the architectural taste and thorough workmanship of the olden time.


The non-intercourse policy adopted by the general government in 1806, and the embargo which followed in 1807, brought a disastrous and sudden check to all this prosperity. "Navigation fell off 9,000 tons in two years and all the various classes to whom it gave support were thrown out of employment eleven commercial houses stopped payment in 1807, and many others the following year. * * * In the war of 1812, which followed, our sea-faring people manned the privateers fitted out here, some of which ran a successful career, and did great damage to the enemy, while others were soon captured by superior force, and their crews held as prisoners."

The fourth period in the history of Portland begins with the peace of 1815, and continues to the commencement of the railroad era in 1846. This was a period of slow recovery from the disasters of the war. In March 1820 the district of Maine was separated from Massachusetts and admitted into the Union as a State, and Portland became its capital. In 1823, the first steamer ever brought to Maine arrived in the harbor. This was the Patent, a vessel of about 100 tons burthen, owned by Capt. Seward Porter, of this city, who had bought her in New York to run as a passenger-boat between Boston and Portland.
Both Jonathan Morgan and Captain Porter had previously expert. mented with steamboats of their own construction the Kennebec, built by the latter in 1822, having been the first to run in Casco Bay. In 1833, the steamer Chancellor Livingston, built under the direction of Robert Fulton, ran between Portland and Boston and the Cumberland Steam Navigation Company, formed in the same year, put the steamer Commodore MeDonough on the route in opposition. The Cumberland and Oxford Canal connecting the waters of Lake Sebago with Portland Harbor, was begun in 1828, completed in 1830, at a cost of $206,000. This helped the business of the town somewhat yet the steamboats and the Portland, Saco and Portsmouth Railroad, opened in 1842, took much Portland business to Boston. A new railroad connecting with Boston diverted also to that city the trade of northern Vermont, which had previously come through the north of the White Mountains to Portland. The fifth period commenced with the opening of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad to Canada, in 1853. To aid in its construction, Portland loaned its credit in bonds to the amount of $2,000,000. This Grand Trunk road brought the city in connection not only with the cities of Canada, but with the vast graingrowing regions of the West. Then came, as necessary adjuncts of the road, a winter line of steamers to Liverpool, and the construction of a new business avenue along the whole water front of the city, a mile long and 100 feet wide, running over tide water, across the heads of wharves. This is Commercial street, the scene of a large wholesale trade in flour, grain and groceries. Then came the building of the system of railroads, now consolidated under the name of the Maine Central, opening to the trade of Portland all parts of the State, and the Lower Provinces of Canada. Then Brown's Sugar House and the Portland Company's Works, and other Manufacturing establishments sprang up, giving employment to hundreds of people.

The financial panic of 1857-8 brought no serious disaster to the business of the city and trade had again attained to a flourishing condition, when the war of the Slaveholder's Rebellion broke out. Portland, as usual, was prompt to the demands of patriotism,-six companies of the First Maine regiment, Colonel Jackson, having been raised here. Later regiments organized in Portland were the 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 17th, and 25th. The latter was a nine-months regiment of Portland boys, led by Col. Francis Fessenden. In all, Portland contributed to the army and navy of the Union during the war, 5,000 men to whom she paid a bounty of $428,970. Of these, 421 lost their lives in battle, or by disease. Her citizens also contributed largely in aid of the sanitary and Christian commissions, and many of her noble women gave their services in nursing the sick and wounded.

One morning in June, 1863, the United States Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, was missed from her moorings, and Revenue collector Jewett and Mayor MeLellan, promptly manning and arming the steamers Forest City and Chesapeake, found her in the hands of the rebels, becalmed near Green Islands. On discovering the approaching vessels, her captors set her on fire, and took to their boats. She presently blew up and the rebel crew were soon captured by the pursuing steamers, and lodged in Fort Preble, as prisoners of war. During the war, much shipping of Portland had been transferred to the British flag but the business of the city did not otherwise suffer much loss.

On the 4th of July, 1866, a carelessly thrown cracker set fire to a boat-builder's shop on Commercial street, whence the flames were soon communicated to Brown's Sugar House whence it swept on diagonally through the city, spreading like a fan as it went. Entire streets were swept away, includeing massive warehouses, lofty churches, splendid mansions, ancestral houses and the dwellings of the poor, in the oldest and most crowded parts of the city in one common ruin. For nearly half a day, and through the night until the small hours of the morning, the vast volumes of flame and smoke held sway, sending terror and anguish among the whole population. The fire ended near Munjoy's Hill. The morning saw fifteen hundred buildings laid in ashes fifty-eight streets and courts reduced to a wilderness of chimneys, amid which the most familiar inhabitant lost himself ten thousand people made homeless, and ten millions of property destroyed. Villages of tents and barracks sprang up on Munjoy, and generous contributions from abroad flowed in, providing food, shelter and clothing for the penniless.

In rebuilding, old streets were widened and straightened, and new ones opened and, after a lapse of ten years, the waste places were almost wholly rebuilt, far more roomy, convenient and handsome than before. Meantime the increase of the business facilities of the city went on. In 1873, the Boston and Maine Railroad was extended from South Berwick to Portland, taking on its way Old Orchard Beach. In 1875, the Portland and Rochester Railroad completed its connections with Nashua, N. H., and Worcester, Mass. The same year, the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad was completed through the Notch of the White Mountains. In the same period, various manufactures sprang up within the city or in its vicinity, as the rolling of railroad iron, the making of carriages, shoes, matches, stoneware, and drainpipes and these products find a market all over the United States, and, to some extent, in foreign countries. In 1870, Lake Sebago water was introduced by aqueduct all through the city, and the sewerage rendered more complete. Broad and regular streets, handsome and substantial business blocks, elegant and commodious dwellings, good drainage well-lighted streets, pure water, excellent air, convenient conveyance in and out of the city, by horse and steam cars,-numerous shadetrees, unsurpassed views of sea and shore, good schools, well-attended churches, and a moral, industrious, enterprising and courteous people- these render Portland one of the most desirable of cities for a home and business. There are now living in the city a large number of persons over eighty years of age.

Among those who have contributed largely to make Portland what it is in these various respects, must be mentioned the following names: George Cleeves, a first settler and proprietor, and Rev. Thomas Smith, the first have already been mentioned. Not only was Mr. Smith for a long period, the only minister, hut also the only physician in town. Another distinguished citizen of the anti-Revolutionary period was General Jedediah Preble, who had served in the French wars, and at the breaking out of the Revolution, was prevented from being the principal military officer of Massachusetts only by the infirmities of years. Worthy of honorable mention, also, are Theophilus Bradbury and David Wyer, earliest members of Cumberland bar. Samuel Freeman, school-teacher, trader, and Revolutionary patriot, a deacon of the First Parish forty-five years, delegate to the Provincial Congress, Judge of Probate forty-five years, post-master twenty-eight years, president of the Maine Bank and president of Bowdoin College for a number of years, with other offices also the publisher of several law-books. About 1770, Theophilus Parsons, afterwards Chief Justice of Massachusetts, became a citizen, studied law, and was admitted to the Cumberland bar. Sheriff William Tyng, most prominent of the Maine Tories, was also a citizen of this town. A little later was Simon Greenleaf, distinguished as a member of the Cumberland bar, a learned jurist and writer on law Stephen Longfellow, father of the poet, long in the successful practice of the law in the Cumberland courts Prentiss Mellen, chief justice of the State Ezekiel Whitman, member of Congress for four terms, and chief justice of the Supreme Court of Maine Samuel Fessenden, the able lawyer, orator and philanthropist Albion K. Parris, Governor of the State at the age of thirty-three years, and long in successful practice here William Pitt Preble, a judge and Minister to the Netherlands Arthur Ware, a learned writer on Maritime law, and judge of the United States District Court for forty-four years Ether Shepley, long chief justice of the State George F. Shepley, son of Ether, a brave soldier, and later, judge of the United States Circuit Court, who died a few years after his father. Of orators and statesmen of national reputation, Sargent S. Prentiss though he won his reputation in the south-was born here and William Pitt Fessenden, the distinguished U. S. senator and secretary of the Treasury, was always a citizen of this town, lion. George Evans, another U. S. senator from Maine, was for some time a resident, as was also Hon. George T. Davis, a former member of Congress from Massachusetts, and Hon. Horatio King, acting Postmaster General for sometime. Other noted citizens were Commodore Edward Preble, hero of Tripoli Rear Admiral Alden, who served in the war of 1812, and in the Mexican war and Commodore George H. Preble, who has served long and well. Of literary men who were sons or residents, or both, are Henry W. Longfellow, N. P. Willis, John Neal, Nathaniel Peering, Isaac McLellan, Grenville Mellen, Bishop Horatio Southgate, S. B. Beckett, D. C. Colesworthy, Mrs. E. Oakes Smith, Mrs. Elizabeth Akers Allen, J. H. Ingraham, Seba Smith, Charles P. Ilsley, Rev. Elijah Kellogg, George Payson, William Law Symonds, Sarah Payson Willis (Fanny Fern), Mrs. Samuel Coleman, Mrs. Ann S. Stephens, Mrs. Elizabeth (Payson) Prentice, Mrs. Clara Barnes Martin, Mrs. Margaret J. M. Sweat, Prof. Edward S. Morse, Mrs. Abba Goold Woolson, Rev. Dr. Cyrus Bartol, Rev. Dr. J. W. Chickering, Rev. Dr. Samuel Deane, Rev. Dr. Thomas Hill, Rev. Dr. Ichabod Nichols, Rev. Dr. Edward Payson, Rev. Asa Cummings, Rev. W. T. Dwight, Rev. William B. Hayden, Rev. Jason Whitman, Dr. J. W. Mighells, Dr. Isaac Ray, Hon. William Goold, Hon. William Willis, Col. Z. A. Smith, Henry A. S. Dearborn, John A. Poor, William B. Sewall, Walter Wells, and many others. Of artists, Portland has been the residence of Charles Codman, Charles O. Cole, J. R. Tilton, Mrs. Elizabeth Murray, Charles E. Becket, J. G. Cloudman, Harry B. Brown, Frederick Kimball, Miss Maria Becket, John B. Hudson, Charles J. Schumacher, and others. Eminent names among Portland merchants who have passed away, are Matthew Cobb, Asa Clapp, William Chadwick, Albert Newhall, Joseph Cross, Ralph Cross, Arthur McLellan, James Peering, Benjamin Willis, Samuel Trask, Reuben Morton3 and. John B. Brown. [See notice of latter on page 611.]

Portland has eighteen church-edifices, including the cathedrals of the Episcopal and Roman Catholic denominations. There are also as many as twenty-five societies more or less benevolent in their objects, besides several others of an intellectual and social nature.

Portland has six National Banks, with an aggregate capital of $3,150,000. They are the First National Bank, and Casco National Bank, each with a capital of $800,000 Canal National Bank, having a capital of $600,000 Merchants' National Bank and National Trader's Bank, each having a capital of $300,000 and the Cumberland National Bank, with a capital of $250,000. The Maine Savings Bank, in Portland, on the 1st of November, 1880, held in deposits and profits, the sum of $3,181,195.45 and the Portland Savings Bank, at the same date, held $4,480,770.32.

Portland has three daily papers, all well sustained. The Argus-ancient and respectable, and always fresh, bright, readable and democratic the Press, a reliable Republican sheet, always elegant and honorable the Advertiser, the oldest daily paper in the city, but at present, the most concise Republican in politics, but independent in its views. The Portland Sunday Times, is a lively secular weekly, devoted largely to social matters. It is independent in politics. The Morning News is a spirited journal, devoted to reform It is Greenback in politics, but generally independent in its views. Zion's Advocate, an organ of the Baptists, is an excellent denominational paper. The Christian Mirror, the organ of the Congregationalists in Maine, is ably edited, and wholly worthy of its patronage. The Portland Transcript, known to every Maine family, is unsurpassed in its field by any newspaper in the country. The North-East, published monthly, is the organ of the Episcopal church in Maine. The Masonic Token, issued quarterly, by Stephen Berry, is devoted to masonry, and would consequently be very useful to every member of that order. The Helping Hand, a monthly, Published by the Young Men's Christian Association, is well adapted to a worthy purpose. Our Home and Fireside Magazine, published monthly and Saturday by H. Hal-. lett & Co., is devoted almost wholly to stories. The People's Illustrated Journal and The Illustrated Household Magazine, published monthly, by Geo. Stinson & Co., are of the same class and of equal rank. The Globe, published every Saturday, is devoted to local news. The Portland Price Current, issued every Saturday, by M. N. Rich, is a sine qua non to the merchants of the city and its neighborhood. The City Item is a lively little daily, devoted to news. It is Greenback in its politics. The Floral Monthly, issued by W. E. Morton & Co., is a very desirable publication to all cultivators of flowers.


Museums & Historic Sites

History comes alive in Greater Portland—where everything from colonial homes to maritime museums are on display. Museum homes invite visitors to step back in time and gain a greater perspective and respect for the historic forces that continue to influence our lives.

Variety of interactive exhibits & activities for children and families inspiring discovery and imagination.

A popular destination for visitors from all over the world. Gardens open year-round. Cafe & Shop open seasonally.

Hear the mysterious, amazing and amusing inside stories as you explore history and architectural treasures.

Travel back in time to vintage Vacationland. Group tours welcome and available any day by reservation.

Offers a nationally recognized collection of American art in its elegantly appointed galleries in beautiful Rockland.

Tour a former United States military fort built from 1858 to 1864. The fort is now a park, accessible only by boat.

Features innovative exhibitions and public programs that showcase new perspectives and trends in contemporary art.

3rd oldest historical society in U.S. comprised of the Longfellow House, the Brown Library, the Museum & Shop.

Beautiful historic building completed in 1892. Genealogy Research, Library, Heritage Trail, Museum and Archives.

Exhibits, lighthouse & nature cruises, kids' pirate ship, demos, family activities, hands-on fun for everyone.

Scenic train ride along beautiful Casco Bay. Activities, historic railroad cars & exhibits.

Located in the lighthouse keepers' quarters, the museum chronicles the oldest lighthouse in Maine.

Features an operating collection of antique aircraft, automobiles, airplane shows, and more.

The PMA boasts significant holdings of American, European, and contemporary art, as well as iconic works from Maine.

Experience a connection to the past by visiting the world's oldest and largest museum of public transportation.

Explore galaxies, atoms, cells & the sea in our subterranean star dome. We offer shows, classes, & more.

Dedicated to the preservation of Portland’s Eastern Cemetery through activities like walking tours and ongoing education.

This Georgian house connects people to colonial roots and helps discover the relevance of history to our lives.

One of the country's historic homes of the mid-Victorian period, open May through October for tours.


Historic Homes

Those interested in a glimpse of the striking interiors and fine architecture of Greater Portland’s historic homes will find them walking the city’s residential streets, in the Victorian district of the restored commercial buildings in the Old Port, and in the adjacent neighborhoods.

Our region prides itself on constant attention to landmark preservation and revitalization. This deeply-rooted community appreciation of our heritage and historical sites has made the region a destination for both advanced and passive history sightseers.

historical homes have been preserved and have opened their doors to visitors wanting a more intimate view of the lives and living spaces of a bygone age.

Historic Home, Photo Credit: Corey Templeton

Visitors will discover the wonders of a colonial times in a captain’s home – the only pre-Revolutionary home in the city, enjoy guided tours of the home of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and enter into the grandeur of the mid-Victorian period by touring a downtown mansion, filled with original furnishings and exquisitely decorated during the holiday season.

Want to find more historic homes and sites in the area? Check out our list below


History of Old Port along Waterfront in Portland, Maine

The Abenaki Native Americans lived here for millenniums before Portuguese explorer Estêvão Gomez’s discovery in 1524. The next European visitor was Englishman Captain John Smith in 1614. The first of several attempts at settlement began in 1623. In 1786, the town of Portland was established. A key to growth was maritime trade because this is the closest U.S. port to Europe. The harbor’s success accelerated in 1820 when the city became the capital of the new state of Maine. A further boom occurred after 1853. That is when a railroad was connected to Montreal. Portland rapidly became the winter port serving Canada when other harbors in Atlantic Canada and the St. Lawrence River were icebound. After the 1920s, shipments at the wharfs declined and the area deteriorated. In the 1980s, a rebirth began along the waterfront and the Old Port neighborhood. That is what you are experiencing today: a blend of the historic and the new all facing Portland’s Harbor. Most of the vessels you will see are cruise ships, sightseeing tours and lobster boats like those shown here.

86 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101

Welcome! Encircle Photos is your free travel resource for finding top places to see worldwide. This visual library includes travel guides showing major landmarks with descriptions, maps and addresses. Also explore the world daily with free emails and on Facebook. They feature a different city a week with one photo a day. Let travel photographer Dick Ebert show you the world!


Learn about our contributing partners, and how to become one.

Copyright ©2000-2021 Maine Historical Society, All Rights Reserved.

Many images on this website are for sale on VintageMaineImages.com.

Maine Memory Network is a project of the Maine Historical Society. Except for classroom educational use, images and content may not be reproduced without permission. See Terms of Use.


Notas

Addeddate 2014-12-16 13:36:35.586128 Bookplateleaf 0005 Call number 31833011876254 Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II External-identifier urn:oclc:record:1046523209 Foldout_seconds 770 Foldoutcount 4 Identifier historyofportlan1632will Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t3rv3m58r Invoice 11 Lccn a 14002451 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Page-progression lr Pages 966 Ppi 500 Scandate 20141218142730 Scanner scribe2.indiana.archive.org Scanningcenter indiana


Ver el vídeo: Portland, Maine Vacation Travel Guide. Expedia (Noviembre 2021).